Me at Victoria Peak looking all touristy- coerced a random to take my photo!WOW people in particular Tom. Well done for leaving a comment and thanks too to Sherryn. Not long til Christmas! I am at the airport on unlimted but AGod awful slow internet. Must be sharing it with a cast of thousands.
I was lucky to get the last couple of post up and done with photos in twenty free minutes at Starbucks. I am now sitting on the floor in a corner in the lobby of my Harbour Plaza Metropolis Hotel. I think I am lowering the tone of the place as two men just came by to move me on but I motioned to them that I needed some power for my laptop and they left me alone- see a laptop has its uses. I want the computer to be all the way powered up as it can be in case I get the opportunity to get myself in business class on the plane like last time. It is about five o’clock and I have two hours to kill. I didn’t do much today apart from wander around and take a short ferry ride from the peninsula to the other side and back again. I bought an ice-cream for $33HK- chocolate, one scoop. Now I have only $8.50HK left and that doesn’t buy you anything so I had better not want to buy a glass of water!
The view from the top of Victoria Peak- you can just see through the smog haze.These are my ramblings as regards my two sleeps and three days in Hong Kong.
It is homely that they drive on the left hand side of the road but they walk on the right hand side like Americans- very odd. Maybe it is the Mainland China influence.
I went to the loo in a posh hotel like I did in America and a little lady helped me turn the water on and offered me a towel to dry my hands.
Everything seems very labour intensive- the idea of water sprinklers seems to have passed them by and individual stand there and hand water the gardens with a hose.
Everyone seems affluent and well dressed but I didn’t even think of going shopping for clothes as things were geared for the very rich and the very tiny- neither of which I am!
Everyone is talking on cellphones and most seem to have headsets and earpieces so that look like they are slightly mad talking away to themselves.
I was surprised to see three people begging on the streets- what a stark contrast to San Francisco! The weather here is winter now which is just perfect for me- with a slight breeze in the air to cool things down. Max the travel guy said that they do have a typhoon season which blows things around a bit and in summer it can get stinking hot and humid which I wouldn’t like at all.
Yesterday’s thronging market was a bit overpowering with the high concentration of people but never once did I feel insecure.
Many people tried to sell me replica watches- seeing I no longer wear a watch at all that exercise seemed rather pointless and why would I want to buy a knock of Prada handbag when I don’t even want a real one.
All I have done these last three days is walk and although I have had a couple of sit downs my knees have held up well in the dry weather- hope they will be OK in the cold, wet of the UK as well. Keep your fingers crossed.
These are some of yesterday's photos that I didn't have time to add in. The little junk we toured in was lovely and gave you a chance to get close to what was going on.My shuttle to the airport comes at 7.15pm and the last time for check is 9pm. Just think I get to see Amy real soon.
The cute kids singing Christmas carols in Cantonese. Way past their bedtime.
1 comment:
H K is one of my favourite places ... I have many good friends there and working with teachers is so rewarding. They are a positive bunch.
It seems as if you really did manage to do lots of the good things ... the races are especially spectacular !!
Post a Comment