Amy had to go to work in the morning so I went into town with her and even managed to get on the tube by myself and go two stops to Oxford Circus for another spot of shopping. I knew more this time about where I wanted to go.Here's some interesting things about life in England...
- Their Post Offices are in the stupidest and far away places. Sherryn had given me a parcel to post to her son, Scott, who is on London and we carried her parcel around for two days before eventually tracking down a PO. People we had asked about it said there used to be one in such and such a place but they shut it down! You would think they would be in places like commuter hubs- but no!
- To go up or down on an escalator you stand on the right hand side so people who want to walk up faster can go on the left hand side. That at least makes sense.
- To rent a video you pay when you return it which means that you have to get it back in shop hours which means that they get extra money cos you can't just drop it back in the slot at a time that suits you.
- Pre-paid power is really dumb as if you didn't hear the beeping that it is about to run out you can be in the shower with your hair all lathered up.
While I was wandering a TV crew wanted my opinion about the credit crunch and its affect on Woolworths. I told them I was fresh off the plane from New Zealand and was trying to keep the global economy going all on my own by keeping on spending! They won't be using that footage!
It does feel strange that it gets dark by four o'clock in the afternoon. I know the above photo is a bit blurry but I like how it shows the hustle and bustle of downtown.The video was taken from the top story of the double decker bus as it was wonding its way home at the end of the day.
2 comments:
Oh dear what a shame you're not very impressed with us and it's all on a public blog too! Many post offices are very local, ours is just over five minutes walk away. Some Co-Op Supermarkets have indoor post offices with a PO sign outside as do some newagents. The government has closed numerous post offices down. Our Prime Minister is Gordon Brown his address is 10 Downing Street, London SW1A 2AA. or contact him at http://uk.youtube.com/10DowningStreet. To find your nearest post office or anywhere else go to www.yell.com. It's laughable to have to return a video during opening hours. Go to Blockbusters, you pay for it when you take it out. They have a 24/7 drop off . Many other video rental places also have the same and have had for years. Pre-paid elctricity is usually used in rented flats or low income earners. Contact the landlord asking for the meter to be easily changed to one where you can use electricity normally and are billed.
Lynda
Portsmouth, U.K.
Love the photos and dialogue Allanah........
I look forward to your blog every day.
I'm getting a lot of lovely memories seeing familiar places.
Glad you're enjoying yourself.
Yve XXX
Post a Comment