This the part that Dad would have liked. Out on the water. He had probably been to Hong Kong as he had so many stamps in his passport form his time in the merchant marine during the war.
The light show at night was spectacular and I coerced another random to take my photo. I also paid $10HK to a scam artist to take the same thing just to make sure at least one photo turned out half pai decent.
This person fishing enchanted me in the same way I like to take photos of old buildings- it could as well have been taken two centuries ago I imagine.
I liked this naturally framed photo taken from the junk.
Post Number Three
This morning I missed my free shuttle to pick up my Hong Kong tour so had to grab a taxi because I didn’t want to miss it- wasted money buying buffet breakfast that I could have enjoyed if I hadn’t been worried about missing the bus- such is life!
The same guy Max that picked me up from the airport was the tour guide and he was good too. We started by a trip to the top of Victoria Peak by cable car- straight up- quite spectacular- Mum wouldn’t have liked that bit- it would have made her sick! You can really feel the smog from way up there but the views down on all the skyscrapers was spectacular and I co-erced some people into taking my photo to prove that I was there!
Next stop was Stanley Market where the tourists come to buy the usual tat. I was keen on some silver ear-rings in Chinese calligraphy that said, ‘Good Luck.’. I bought them but was appalled by the sales lady that showed me how nice they looked by putting them in her own ears! I will sterilise them before I wear them! The highlight of Stanley market was the little fishing boat with a little old lady minding her business fishing off the side of her boat.
Next stop was Repulse Bay and a tour on a junk out among the houseboats and fishing boats. I loved that part and got some nice video as we puttered about the bay. In this place I had the feel of China. Max the tour guide says the people of Hong Kong don’t think of themselves as Chinese as they have another 50 years grace before being totally gobbled up by China. Hong Kong seemed to have retained much of the freedoms not afforded Mainland China. It is a real mix of ethnicities and cultures.
I have been offered many spam watches and offers to make tailored suits- all politely refused. I did succumb and buy an 8GB flash drove for $100HK- about $20NZ but that was the only thing that I felt like spending my money on anyway. I have enjoyed going to Starbucks for breakfast and 20 minutes of free internet on my iTouch.
Last night I hung about down by the harbour’s edge till eight o’clock waiting for the Festival of Lights. Many of the Kowloon skyscrapers have lazer spotlights- it is all put to music and very spectacular. Mum would have loved it as we both liked the sparkly things and the skyscrapers lit at night across the harbour was another highlight.
Just as I was leaving to trudge back to the shuttle pick up everyone was gathered around these very cute kids who were singing well known English Christmas carols in Cantonese- ‘All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth!’ Very odd!
I was home by nine at night- just in time for another night-time swim an the heated pool followed by a hot spa in the rooftop gymnasium complex. I staggered back to my room and lay down for a moment, only to wake up at 3am with the lights still on and me not even in my nightie yet!
I have to check out of the hotel at 12am today and have seven hours to muck about before the shuttle picks me up to go to the airport at 7pm this evening. I am over Hong Kong and just want to see my Amy- the sooner the better.
Hopefully I will be able to add photos to this post if I find free internet at the airport or I might even lug the laptop back to Starbucks and try and upload from there.
No comments:
Post a Comment