Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Portsmouth Tourist

Today we went out and about on a sight-seeing day around Portsmouth. It was a bright, crisp and clear day which was great for viewing from the top of the Spinnaker Tower.


Way at the top there are three viewing decks with a see through glass platform thing that gives you the eeby geebies as you walk on it.



This photo shows the view into the dockyards where we were heading next. You can see some of the British naval fleet at dock with a small aircraft carrier that jump jets take off from. You can also see the HMS Warrior and if you look carefully in the middle you can see Nelson’s ship- Victory.


We commandeered a passerby to take our photo overlooking the dockyards.


As we entered the historic dockyards I was impressed by the weaponry used by the armed guards at the gate and asked the handsome policeman if he could do me a favour. He asked me if I wanted him to kill someone. The thought crossed my mind but I decided not to follow up on his suggestion and asked for a photo instead.


I was very impressed with the Victory. At first I thought it was a replica but it was the very real thing. This ship was the flag ship in the Battle of Trafalgar between England and the French where Admiral Nelson was mortally wounded. I was astounded to learn that the ship carried over 800 sailors and boys in dreadful conditions. The tour guide showed us all over the ship from Nelson’s luxurious cabin right down to the bilge of the ship where they stored the gunpowder in leather bound powder kegs on a base of shingle to stop the barrels moving and igniting a spark.

I learnt where the phrase ‘three square meals a day’ came from. The sailors’ dinner plates were made from square wooden plates and they got three square meals a day. The meals themselves were pretty rancid but the sailors were allowed to drink hefty daily allowances of grog which is probably the only thing that kept them going.


You weren’t allowed to take photos on the tour but I still managed to get this one. You can see all the cannons ready to fire their shot. It was real deadly fighting machine.



On the way back to town I liked this bronze statue looking out to the naval fleet.

You can see what a glorious still day it was by the reflections in the water.
We finished off the day with a drink down on Gunwharf Quay and another photo opportunity to try and capture the colours of the Spinnaker Tower all lit up for the evening.
Then we went to see Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace- a spot of eye candy for the ladies. A good way to finish the night.

No comments: