Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Abergevenny- Wales

Yesterday Paul, Debbie and I took a day to go sight-seeing. Our first port of call was Brynmawr where the icicles were enormous. Brynmawr is just by the side of the road.
Our next stop was St Fagan's which is an historic village where significant structures that are in danger of destruction are painstakingly de-constructed and re-constructed on site. The place itself is so eerily, starkly beautiful- set among the bare beech trees.
Picture postcard- it must be incredible in autumn.
Another icon of Wales I wanted to see while I was here was the stonewall fences and the places had fences of all kinds- this one was slate.
The Celtic village was so interesting. We went inside and the smoke from the earth fire was down to door level with smoke leeching out through the thatch. All of the structures had an enthusiastic attendant feeding the fires to keep themselves and visitors warmish.
Here Paul models his very fetching new hat!
This is the Welsh Working Men's Club- we have a few of those in NZ as well.
I liked going in winter as we had the place to oursleves at times.
A highlight for me was the chance to capture a robin red breast- after about 10 crap photos I got this good one.
Then we looked at a row of Welsh mining cottages- each one decorated as they would have been throughout the decades.Paul and Debbie warmed themselves by the 1805 cottage fire- very spartan and bare.
This is the Post Office- definitely more welcoming than the English ones!
Our last stop was the 1520 St Teilo's pre-Tudor church. As they were dismantling it they found evidence of wall paintings of the time.It started to get cold so we retired to town for a walk around the waterfront of Cardiff.
I didn't realise the connection between Roald Dahl and the Danish community in Cardiff- here is his church.I was also touched by this memorial to Merchant Seamen- which reminded me of Dad. In the background is the Welsh Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru (parliament type forum).
We stopped for tea at a French restaurant and I had Toulouse sausages and potato mash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the photo of the icicles!
Well done!

Lynda & David
Portsmouth, U.K.