
Danny came over from Wellington for a long weekend visit.
Today we had brunch at a restaurant overlooking the haven. It is a perfect day today and it was high tide so we had a glorious view. Yesterday they spotted a pod of killer whales that have been circling the bay. Tomorrow we are going fishing in the Marlborough Sounds. It would be something if we saw them while we were out on the water.
Look for photos of us tomorrow with our catch!
This afternoon seeing the weather was perfect we thought we would go for a swim out at Cable Bay. It was pretty much low tide but the sky was so blue and the water so clear we couldn't resist. We took my underwater camera out and took lots of photos but they are not digital so we will have to wait until they get developed the old fashioned way. Danny sliced his heel on some barnacles and a considerable amount of blood came out. I was worried that sharks might smell the blood and start circling us!!
The following photos are of Cable Bay. One of the reasons I like it so much is that there are never many people there and if there are other people they are pretty much miles away.


On Sunday morning Danny and I got up at HALF PAST THREE IN THE MORNING in order to make it to the marina in Havelock for a five o'clock start to our fishing adventure. That was a bit of a stretch as neither of us slept very well on Saturday night. I think we were both looking forward to it and wanted to make sure we were up in plenty of time.
We met our skipper, Ron, on Jetty Six and we were underway in the pitch dark, he navigated by shining a torch on to the shoreline so he knew where the rocks were! It took us about an hour to reach our first fishing spot at the outer edge of the Marlborough Sounds at a place past Maud Island called Forsyth's Point. As we started fishing we watched the beauty of the sun come up and touch the headlands in the Sounds.
No sooner than my rod had touched the bottom than I caught the first fish of the day- this beautiful gurnard. It was really a thing of beauty with its fins spread wide like a butterfly's wings.

Being the only girl on board the others were quite jealous as it was quite some time before the others caught anything at all. I ended up being a 'fishing machine'! I have found something I am good at!

Danny got the hang of things as well and soon was catching his share while the other two blokes looked on! We were on fire!

After a bit of a breeze came up we headed for another spot. I love this shot of the now sunlight sparkling on the water.

Danny even manged to catch two fish at the same time! One of the other guys caught a small shark and Danny caught a small terakihi. Fortunately our pilot did all the nasty gutting and putting bait on and spearing the fish in the head to kiil them. Men have their uses!!!!!

After a very enjoyable six hours on the water reeling them in it was time for us to come on home and enjoy the fruits of our labours!

Ron filleted the fish for us and divided them fairly amongst us. He told us that if the local marina restaurant wasn't busy they would cook up our catch while we waited and this is what they did!

How about this shot of a freshly caught and cooked fish with a bottle of bubbly light ale with the marina activity behind us. It could win a cooking photo competition this one! I suggest you double click on the photos and feast your eyes and think about what a great day we had.

When we came home I had a go at cooking the gurnard and blue cod in a little garlic butter. I think I did well but felt a little sad for the now not nearly so pretty gurnard.

Danny ended up staying an extra day as the fog in Wellington wouldn't let any planes land. I was not sad. We had an extra swim at Cable Bay and a long, late lunch by the waterfront.
1 comment:
Just had a read, it is clear to see Danny is his aunt's nephew, you are certainly in the same family. I remember days on the Sounds in a friend's boat, fishing and eating, and getting nauseous(sp?.
It is very hot tonight and I must go to bed, I've got more cupboards to clean tomorrow and then the dentist. House is nice, better than I remembered from mid December.
Post a Comment