Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Home Economic Survey

The survey took three and a half hours! Thankfully the boss chappie realised I was making it up in places and seemed to play along a bit. How was anyone supposed to remember what you had spent your money on a year ago. For me anyway I pay the bill- electronically if I can- and throw the thing away the month after I get the next bill that has a receipt with it for the previous month! They wanted to know how much of the phone bill was tolls, GST etc and which part was wire maintenance- blah, blah, blah. I took delight in thinking they hadn't even kept with today's technology of making toll calls VOIP with things like Skype! Ha!

After the household survey they then had individual questions to ask us. Fortunately they let Mum go and have a lie down and I answered hers for her as well. Their computer didn't seem to accept that Mum left school without qualifications. It felt it had to record something before it would let the lady move on to the next thing.

One of the most ridiculous questions was- firstly when Mum bought the house. The answer was over fifty five years ago and then top it all off they wanted to know in what month of that year. I summonsed my most authoritative voice and said April! Frankly who cares! In fact quite a few of those sort of answers I said April. It must have been a busy month!!!!!

Anyway now it is almost all over apart from writing down EVERYTHING that we spend money on over the next two weeks. Itemised grocery shopping. You have got to be kidding! They will get a supermarket receipt and they can swing for the rest!

After that marathon effort we went out for a latte- and kept the receipts!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wot a carry on! I just imagine the govt. here in the U.K. even thinking about it - the civil liberties groups would be outraged and stay that way.

L. in the U.K.