
Every year now they hold a Blessing of the Fleet down at the port and seeing it was a nice day we thought we would go for a drive-by as there would be so many cars and we would have to walk for miles we wouldn't go to the actual ceremony.
Any way as chance would have it there was a parking space directly opposite the main event and close by a restaurant. We thought we could wander across the road and have lunch on the outside balcony and look down on the riff-raff thronging below. It was a good choice as the minestrone soup was yummy and we had the best seats in the house. The restaurant was thronging with tall sailors in uniform and all the local hoi-paloi who fancied themselves- mayors and MPs and bishops and the like. I had only taken my small camera as I didn't think we would be able to stop. They had some nice singing by some male voice choir, a solo bag-piper and a cannon. Unfortunately I missed each of the cannon shots on video apart from the fizzer! Mum actually let herself be photographed without putting up a fight and I got a nice photo or her.

After the ceremony we went for a drive on the port hills and got first class seats to watch them drop some poor sucker out of a helicopter and then go and winch him up again. They shouldn't have been so careless in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment