Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Chance in a Billion

I'll tell you an impressive family thing happened today. I got a cell phone call from our Amy asking the guessing game of- guess who I've just seen?

It transpired that she was walking down the street in Wellington- our capital city and walked past a pair of girls who looked familiar. She did a double take and turned back and the girls were looking at her.


At Christmas Rachel- Amy's great-grandmother's great-grand-daughter came to visit from Londonderry, then she had gone down south to work on the glaciers for a while. Amy was in Australia at that time so they couldn't meet. I had put some photos of Rachel's visit on my blog and of course Amy had seen them. I would have liked them to meet but their paths were never going to cross.

They met today totally randomly on a street in Wellington on the day before Rachel was due to fly out of the country to continue on her OE. How incredible that they had met AND recognised each other only from my blog photos.

Personally being somewhat non-neuro-typical- more down the path on the autistic spectrum- out of context I can barely recognise people that I teach with every day let alone great-grandmother's great-grand-daughters, born on opposite sides of the globe and never met before.

I am in awe of the probability of that happening. If they had been walking in the same direction their eyes would never have met. Ten seconds either way and they would never have seen each other. The power of blogging and family connections through generations and across the globe.

No comments: