Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Every Kiwi

P1837

I think every kiwi should go to Christchurch to see for themselves the devastation and ongoing problems.

5 comments:

Lynda said...

I do hope life improves as soon as possible for everybody.

Lynda

Christine McIntosh said...

Mr B and I were talking about disruption to modern civilisation after earthquakes, tsunamis et al after looking into massive holes in a road at the very edge of our small town. When you see the huge water and utilities pipes - some ancient, some bright blue and obviously repairs - you realise how much there is to go wrong. I don't know where you start to rectify things.

AllanahK said...

For some whole suburbs they're just going to walk away.

The government is paying out the residents in the red zone on their land and house at valuation which is decent of them and to be applauded.

Trouble is for the people in the orange zones. Their houses are significantly damaged but maybe not set for demolition- they just don't know so they have been living in their damaged houses with no sewage system for the last year- they have no money to go anywhere until it is sorted.

And now overseas companies are not willing to re-insure anyone to rebuild so what business would want to start up again if no one is going to insure them.

As we drove around to see for ourselves it was brought home to me the scale of the problem- only half of the CBD buildings that are set for demolition have been brought down.

Sad to see multi-rise apartments and offices with windows open and curtain's billowing- I felt I wanted to give closure to the buildings byt at least closing the windows.

One of the tallest building is on quite a lean- it looks like one more centimetre and it might just come crashing down on the undamaged buildings beneath it.

It's tilting even more than this photo shows now here

AllanahK said...

Not there here

Christine McIntosh said...

It's awful. I hadn't thought of hierarchies of suffering - living without services in your half-wrecked home for example. Nightmare.